Friday, May 6, 2016

Underground Comics

After flipping through the recommended readings, my overall statement is that, these comics are pretty fun. They don’t very much appeal to me personally, and I don’t find them particularly exciting or inspiring at all, but I think they’re definitely an important part of the history of comics. I think that in they’re own way they stand for the freedom of print and freedom of craft, and if it wasn’t for these crazy comics I don’t believe we’d have the comics we have today.

Overall I didn’t really mind the how clunky and grotesque these comics were, because they were meant to be that way, though I can see how some would easily find offense in them. It kind of made me feel like I was doing something bad by reading it, like that feeling you get when you're a kid sneaking into a rated R movie, and you have to check over you're shoulder just to make sure no ones around.

 I think that this time in comics history was a good entry point for young up and coming artists to let loose and nudge at the reader’s inner self and dare you to look deeper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment