Friday, May 6, 2016

Comics by Women: Fun Home & This One Summer

I really enjoyed the experience of reading Fun Home, Alison Bechdel really knows how to reel you into her life, I was only expecting to read a couple pages and then move onto to something else but before I knew it I had finished the whole thing. I'm not sure if it was the fact that the comic was made by a queer artist, targeted to a queer-friendly youth, but I felt very connected to the reading and felt attached to Bechdel throughout most  situations in the story. Although I've not had the experience of growing up with a closeted and/or sexually unsure parent, it was a really interesting view I'd never seen portrayed in narrative before.

This One Summer has got to be my favorite graphic novel currently, without a doubt. Jillian and Mariko Tamaki have created both a visually stunning and compelling piece, that makes you realize things about yourself that you wish you could have known earlier. I would have loved to have been able to read this book when I was a preteen, it would have helped a lot. It's a beautiful coming of age novel that even now when I'm twenty is sort of easy to relate to if I look back at memories I've had of past vacations. This book is one that I own personally and recommend to friends all the time, but I love it so much I can't bring myself to let them borrow my copy haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment